by Heidi Heckler, Happy Well Lifestyle
The health benefits of cardamom are numerous and have been around for centuries from ancient India to Greece and Egypt. With its delicious aromatic flavor it’s often used in pumpkin pies and other holiday foods.
Long used in Indian foods and Ayurvedic wellness, it has recently become one of my favorite spices. I even add it to my morning smoothie in the winter because it’s so warming and delish. So what are some of the health benefits of cardamom?
7 Health Benefits of Cardamom
- Cardamom has been used to stimulate digestion, ease stomach cramps and gas, and aid nervous stomach distress.
- It’s a warming spice, like ginger, and helps to warm the whole body when taken as a tea in winter (see recipe below), or to burn out a fever.
- Cardamom has been shown to relieve tension and anxiety, calm nerves, improve lethargy and boost the spirits, and has also been shown to improve concentration and memory.
- It contains phytonutrients that help fight cancer, protect against heart disease, improve blood circulation, and even act as an aphrodisiac.
- Studies from Saudi Arabia indicate that essential oil of cardamom is anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial.
- Cardamom tea (see recipe below) has been used for thousands of years in India as a treatment for hiccups, as well as boosting the immune system to keep colds and flu at bays.
- Cardamom stimulates bile secretion for healthy liver function and fat metabolism. (Note: Because cardamom stimulates bile secretion, it’s not recommended for people with gallstone or gallbladder issues.)
Related: Why Isn’t My Yoga Working?
From herbalist Anne McIntyre
4 cardamom pods
4 black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
A few slices of fresh ginger
Place all ingredients in 1 pint of water, heat to nearly boiling, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Strain. Add a little coconut milk or honey if desired. Drink a cupful hot twice a day.
Certified Holistic Health Coach (CHHC), Yoga Teacher, and Happiness + Wellness Blogger. After 25+ years as a graphic designer, I decided to pursue another of my passions, holistic health, and nutrition. With a zest for living a happy, healthy, active, fun-filled life, my goal is to inspire the same in you! As a Holistic Health & Wellness Coach, I collaborate with my clients to assess their whole-health picture. Together we create a dietary and lifestyle plan based on their unique bio-individuality and goals.
*this post was originally posted on Happy Well Lifestyle’s Blog, to view more, click here.
YOU MAY LIKE
OMG! The Winter 2016 issue of Teton Spirit is here! What a collaborative labor of love it has been to bring this magazine to fruition and it is by far the best one yet! With our new TSC Team* in place, Teton Spirit is ready to launch and establish Jackson Hole as a destination for […]
The Ultimate Towner Obstacle Course features obstacles to inspire overcoming every type of challenge, here are just a few: ULTIMATE ELEVATION: Each starting wave of participants will prepare to overcome their obstacles at the Ultimate Elevation Warm Up. Participants will experience the motivational course briefing and calisthenics routine set to inspirational music before beginning the course. […]